Monday, August 25, 2008

Ya know, it's absolutely freaking unreal that every single time I write about a new outlook and feeling good about just being out there and "oh, going slower than the slowest little turtle out there isn't *that* bad" .. every single time... I end up going into some sort of illness inducing depression and I skip a week of workouts. What the heck is that about ?

So last week was a wash. It sucked. I did next to nothing from Sunday through Saturday. Granted, on Saturday morning/Friday night I woke at 1:00 a.m. with a migraine that I'd had most of the day and I didn't get back to sleep until about mid-morning when Joel returned from his cycling. He was sweet enough to let me rest most of the day but dang that headache just wouldn't dissipate. On Sunday, I woke up and ran out to the neighborhood track (paved 1k) and did just under 3 miles. Holy cow but it was hot at 8:00 a.m.!! Again I ask, what is that about?? Will it ever cool off in this godforsaken climate??

I was scheduled to run 8 miles. This was the long run before the Nike Human Race 10k coming up this Sunday. Well, 8 miles didn't happen. However, lest you readers think that I bailed after "just under 3 miles", allow me to set the record straight. I came home, told Joel he could head out for a ride before it got too far beyond 100 degrees, and I cranked up that treadmill. Another 3 miles and I was done. So I didn't do the full 8, but I did almost 6. Talk about intervals!

Tonight I ran a 5k on the treadmill. I'm still terribly slow. The finishing time (on the treadmill, in a climate controlled environment, with a treadmill fan blowing on me!) was 35:36, which by the way, is just one second slower than my fastest [treadmill] 5k ever (35:35).

They (the infamous *they* who decide these things) should just let me run all my races on treadmills. Under climate controlled conditions. With loads of water and a tv at my disposal.

It wouldn't be as pretty as it was on Sunday morning. Our little park is actually looking much better these days and I enjoyed seeing the neighbors, but I can't wait for it to cool off.

Check back with me when I begin whining about the cold rainy days. It's certain to happen.

Until then, I run... and run... and run.

No comments:

My photo
Katy, TX, United States